The JAMB Syllabus for Biology 2022/2023, recommended JAMB topics to read for biology, the JAMB area of concentration for biology 2022, and JAMB recommended textbooks for biology 2022 is out.
This free JAMB Biology Syllabus 2022/2023 brought to you by jilearner.com, is segmented into categories for easy understanding.
The JAMB syllabus for Biology 2022 has been arranged into categories like:
- Biology Topics to Read for JAMB 2022
- JAMB area of concentration for Biology 2022
- Key points in Biology for JAMB 2022.
Each of the following shall be treated importantly with the sole aim of helping JAMB candidates to pass their Biology exam with high score.
We have also prepared the downloadable version of the JAMB Biology Syllabus 2022 in PDF format for candidates to easily download into their device and use it offline.
Key Points in Biology for JAMB 2022.
Here are a few 2022 JAMB key points for Biology. Please check the area concentration of concentration, detailed syllabus, and topics to read for Biology at the bottom of this page.
- Active site: this is the part of an enzyme that the reactant molecule fits into
- Denatured: This is when an enzyme has been permanently damaged and has changed shape
- Enzyme: this is a biological catalyst
- Base: this is a chemical component in DNA that forms the genetic code
- Centromere: this refers to a point where two chromatids are met.
- Chromosome: this is a long molecule of tightly coiled DNA found in the nucleus of a cell
- Gene: This is a biological unit of inheritance
- Stem Cell: this is a cell that can potentially become any cell.
- Antigen: this refers to any substance that stimulates the body’s immune response.
- Biomass: this is the amount of living matter in a given unit area
- Catabolism: this is the process of breaking down complex substances into simpler and smaller ones in an organism.
- Ecosystem: a system where organisms interact with their environment
- Gene: the part of DNA that controls the physical characteristics and growth of an offspring
- Genetics: this refers to the study of heredity and variation
- Gestation: this is the development period of an embryo.
- Mitosis: this is a process in which a single cell divides into two smaller cells.
- Nucleus: this is the core part of a cell that controls growth and reproduction
- Osmosis: this is the diffusion of molecules through a semipermeable membrane
- Translocation: this refers to the transport of dissolved materials within a plant
- Ecology: this is the study of the relationship between the living and the environment
- Evolution: This is the biological study of the origin of life and variation.
- Embryology: this refers to the study of the development of embryo.
- Mycology: this is the study of fungi
Check out: JAMB Syllabus for chemistry 2022
JAMB Area of Concentration for Biology 2022
The following are the JAMB 2022 areas of concentration for each biology topic. Kindly Checking the detailed syllabus and topics to read for the exam below.
- Concentrate on studying the functions of Sense organs. Sense organs include Skin, Nose, Tongue, Eye, and Ear. Make sure you know their functions.
VARIETY OF ORGANISMS
- Under this topic, make sure you study the characteristics, the cell structure, functions of cell components, level of organization of living organisms.
STRUCTURAL, FUNCTIONAL, AND BEHAVIORAL ADAPTATIONS OF ORGANISMS.
- Under this topic, candidates are expected to focus on adaptive coloration, its functions, behavioral adaptations, and structural adaptations in organisms.
FORM AND FUNCTIONS
- In this topic, make sure you cover up the internal structure of a flowering plant including the Root, Stem and Leaf.
INTERNAL STRUCTURE OF A MAMMAL
- Under this topic, make sure you study the modes of nutrition, the types of nutrition, and animal nutrition
- Under this topic, make sure you concentrate on knowing the need for transportation, materials for transportation, channels for transportation, and mechanism for transportation.
Materials for Transportation: The materials for transportation include:
- Manufactured food
- Excretory products
- Digested food
- The area of concentration should be on the different respiratory organs and their functions.
- Candidates should focus more the types of excretory structures, excretory organs and their functions.
- Excretory Organs/mechanisms include Kidneys, skin, and lungs.
- The area of concentration should be on sexual and Asexual reproduction in plants and reproduction in mammals.
SUPPORT AND MOVEMENT
- Candidates should focus more on the nastic, tropic, tactic, and sleep movements in plants, the supporting tissues in animals, and the types and functions of the skeletons.
- Candidates should cover up everything about growth, starting from the definition, factors affecting the germination of seeds and factors necessary for growth.
CO-ORDINATION AND CONTROL
- Area of concentration in this topic includes the nervous system, nervous coordination, hormonal control, sense organs and homeostasis.
- Important areas to focus on in ecology include factors affecting the distribution of Organisms such as Biotic and Abiotic factors.
Check also: JAMB Syllabus for physics
SYMBIOTIC INTERACTIONS OF PLANTS AND ANIMALS
- Candidates should focus more on knowing the energy flow in the ecosystem and nutrient cycling in nature.
- Also make sure you read and understand everything about food webs, food chains, and trophic levels
- Natural habitat includes Aquatic, Terrestrial and arboreal lives. Candidates should endeavor to study about some aquatic and terrestrial plants and animals.
LOCAL (NIGERIAN BIOMES)
- Important area of concentration for this topic includes desert, tropical rainforest, Sudan Savanna, Guinea savanna, Highlands and grasslands, etc.
THE ECOLOGY OF POPULATIONS:
- Candidates should concentrate more on ecological succession, adaptation for survival, population density, overcrowding and factors affecting population sizes.
- Soil samples to focus on include, loamy, sandy and clay soils. Candidates should do well to concentrate on the characteristics, maintenance and fertility of the different types of soil listed above.
HUMANS AND ENVIRONMENT
- Important areas to target in this topic should include Conservation of Natural Resources, Game reserves and National parks.
Recommended: how to score 300+ in JAMB 2022
POLLUTION AND DISEASES
- Candidates should concentrate on the different causes and sources of pollution, diseases, and different ways of preventing and controlling pollution and diseases.
HEREDITY AND VARIATIONS
- Area of concentration includes variation in a population, morphological variations, physiological variation, and the application of discontinuous.
- Area of interest on this topic includes the inheritance of characters in organisms, the the basis of heredity and, the probability in genetics and sex determination and the application of the principles of heredity.
- When studying this, concentrate on the theories of evolution and evidence of evolution. Important theories of evolution include Darwin’s theory, Lamarck’s theory and Organic theory.
Check out: JAMB Syllabus for mathematics 2022
JAMB Syllabus for Biology/Topics to Read 2022
Below is the approved JAMB syllabus for biology 2022/2023 and the topics to read for the 2022 JAMB biology examination for UTME and Direct entry candidates.
The following are biology topics to read under ecology:
- Factors affecting the distribution of organisms
- Local biomes
- Natural habitats
- Conservation of natural resources
- Game reserves and natural parks
- Population and its control
- Energy flow in the ecosystem
- Nutrient cycling in nature
- Symbiotic interactions of plants
- Adaptation for survival
- Ecological succession
- Factors affecting population sizes
- Population density and overcrowding
The following are biology topics to read under evolution:
- Evidence of evolution
- Theories of evolution
FORM AND FUNCTIONS
The following are biology topics to read under forms and functions:
- The internal structure of a flowering plant
- Internal structure of a mammal
- Hormonal control
- Nervous co-ordination
- The sense organs
- Excretory mechanisms
- Excretory products of plants
- Types of excretory structures
- Animal nutrition
- Modes of nutrition
- Plant nutrition
- Types of nutrition
- Asexual reproduction
- Reproduction in mammals
- Sexual reproduction in flowering plants
- Aerobic respiration
- Respiratory organs and surfaces
- The mechanism of gaseous exchange
- Channels for transportation
- Materials for transportation
- Media and processes of mechanism for transportation
- Need for transportation
SKELETON AND SUPPORT SYSTEM
The following are biology topics to read under skeleton and support system:
- Support and movement
- Supporting tissues in animals
- Types of skeleton
- Functions of the skeleton
HEREDITY AND VARIATIONS
The following are biology topics to read under heredity and variations:
- Application of discontinuous variation
- Morphological variations in physical appearance
- Physiological variation
VARIETY OF ORGANISMS
The following are biology topics to read under the variety of organisms
- Adaptive coloration and its functions
- Behavioral adaptations in social animals
The following are biology topics to read under living organisms
- Structural adaptations in organisms
- Structures of Different Organisms
- Functional and behavioral adaptations of organisms
JAMB Recommended Textbooks for Biology 2022
The following are the JAMB recommended textbooks for Biology 2022 candidates:
- Biology for West African Schools by Stone R.H. and Cozens, A.B.C. (1982)
- Senior Secondary School Biology by Ndu, F.O. C. Ndu, Abun A. and Aina J.O. (2001) Books 1 -3
- Biology for Senior Secondary Schools Ogunniyi M.B. Adebisi A.A. and Okojie J.A. (2000) Books 1
- Essential of Biology by Odunfa, S.A. (2001)
- Modern Biology by Ramalingam, S.T. (2005) (SS Science Series) New Edition
- Handbook of practical Biology by Usua, E.J. (1997) 2nd Edition.
- Biology for Senior Secondary Schools by Stan. (2004) Revised Edition.
That is the JAMB Syllabus for Biology 2022/2023, JAMB recommended topics to read for biology and the JAMB area of concentration for biology 2022 is out.