The new JAMB literature texts for 2023 which includes the JAMB literature prose for 2023, JAMB literature Poetry for 2023, and JAMB literature Drama for 2023 are out and have been updated below.
To prepare for the 2023/2024 JAMB literature exam, you need to get the approved JAMB Literature Texts 2023, recommended textbooks and approved poems for 2023.
As such, we have compiled the approved JAMB Literature novels 2023 as approved by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board for 2023 exam.
Note: most of the JAMB Literature questions and answers will be set from this literature novels. So its very important you read them and prepare effectively.
Also know that you will need the literature syllabus so as to know other topics that you need to read for 2023 literature JAMB exam.
Literature in English Texts for JAMB 2023
Below are the list of all the Literature in English Novels for JAMB 2023. Hint; while reading your JAMB literature novels, make sure to be able to:
- Demonstrate an adequate knowledge of dramatic techniques used in each text.
- Differentiate between the styles of the playwrights.
- Determine the theme of each text.
- Identify the plot of each play.
- Apply the lessons derived from the play to everyday living.
- Identify the spatial and temporal setting of each play.
Updated: JAMB Introduces New literature Texts for 2023
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) through its recent bulletin, has introduced 5 new reading texts for 2023 JAMB literature in English exam.
Below are the names of the 5 newly published JAMB literature reading texts for JAMB 2023 and the names of the authors.
- Lion and the Jewel; written by Wole Soyinka
- Look Back in Anger; written by John Osborne
- Second Class Citizen; written by Buchi Emecheta
- Unexpected Joy at Dawn; written by Alex Agyei Agyiri
- Wuthering Heights; written by Emile Bronte.
Old: JAMB Literature Drama Texts 2021
Note: from here downward are old literature texts that were used up till 2021. So they’ll not be used for this year (2023) exam.
- Harvest of Corruption by Frank Ogodo Ogbeche
- Let me Die Alone by John K. Kargbo
- The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
Non African Drama:
- Othello by William Shakespeare
- Look Back in Anger by John Osborne
- Fences by August Wilson
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare
Literature Poetry for JAMB 2023
When reading your literature poetry text, make sure you are able to:
- Determine the different literature devices used by various poets.
- Appraise poetry as an art with moral values.
- Explain how poetic devices are used for aesthetic effect in each poem.
- Deduce the poet’s intention/preoccupation from the poem.
- Apply lessons derived from the poem to real life situations.
JAMB Literature Poetry Texts for 2023
- The Panic of Growing Older by Lenrie Peter
- Vanity by Birago Diop
- The Leader and the Led by Niyi Osundare
- Ambush by Gbemisola Adeoti
- The Song of the Woman of my Land by Oumar Farouk Sesay
- Piano and Drums by Gabriel Okara
- The Dining Table by Gbanabam Hallowell
- Black Woman by Leopard Sedar Senghor
- The Grieved Lands by Agostinho Neto
- Government Driver on his Retirement by Onu Chibuike
- The Anvil and the Hammer by Kofi Awoonor
- Raider of the Treasure Trove by Lade Wosomu
Check Also: JAMB approved Novel for 2023 Use of English
Non African poetry:
- The Proud King by William Morris
- Crossing the Bar by Alfred Tennyson
- The Pulley by George Herbert
- Caged Bird by Maya Angelou
- The School Boy by William Blake
- Do not Go Gentle into the Good Night by Dylan Thomas
- The Good-Morrow by John Donne
- Binsey Poplars by G.M. Hopkins
- The Journey of the Magi by T.S Eliot
- Bat by David H. Lawrence
Literature Prose for JAMB 2023
When reading the selected literature prose for JAMB 2023, make sure you are able to:
- Identify the category of prose that each text belongs to.
- Analyze the components of each prose.
- Identify the narrative pattern and techniques used in each of the texts.
- Determine and identify the narrative style used by the author.
- Distinguish between characters used in the prose.
- Determine the Author’s preoccupation from the text.
- Be able to identify and indicate the plot of the novels.
- Identify the temporal and spatial setting of each novel.
- Relate the story in the text to real life situations.
JAMB Literature Prose Texts for 2023
- Faceless by Amma Darko
- Second Class Citizen by Buchi Emecheta
- Unexpected Joy at Dawn by Alex Agyei-Agyiri
- Native Son by Richard Wright
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronté
- Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
JAMB Literature Anthologies 2023
The following are the Anthologies for JAMB Literature.
- Naked Soles by Gbemisola, A. (2005)
- The Penguin Book of English Verse by Hayward, J. (ed.) (1968)
- New Poetry from Africa by Johnson, R. et al (1996)
- Oxford Anthology of English Literature by Kermode, F. et al (1964)
- West African Verse by Nwoga D. (ed.) (1967)
- A Selection of African Poetry by Senanu, K. E. and Vincent (1993)
- Poems of Black Africa by Soyinka, W. (1987)
JAMB Literature Critical Text/Textbooks 2023
- A Glossary of Literary Terms by Abrams, M. H. (1981) (4th Edition)
- A Dictionary of Literature by Emeaba, O. E. (1982)
- Understanding Unseen/An Introduction to English Poetry & English Novel for Overseas Students by Murphy, M. J. (1972)
Those are the approved literature in english novels for JAMB 2023 as gotten from JAMB 2023 IBASS e-syllabus system.