If you wish to know the names of the polytechnics that offer petroleum engineering in Nigeria and the best polytechnic to study petroleum engineering in Nigeria, then check this out.
But before we list out the names, let’s help you to explore a little about the petroleum engineering career in Nigeria and its job opportunities.
Is Petroleum Engineering a good Course in Nigeria?
Yes!!! Is Petroleum Engineering is one of the best engineering courses in Nigeria. Interestingly, petroleum engineers in Nigeria are one of the most paid engineers.
Petroleum engineers in Nigeria that have the opportunity to work in oil companies earn between 1 million Naira to Seven Million Naira Monthly.
In conclusion, petroleum engineering is a very good and lucrative course in Nigeria with so many job opportunities for its graduates.
What is The Difference Between Studying Petroleum Engineering in a Polytechnic and University
Is there any difference between studying Petroleum engineering in a university and a polytechnic? Yes!!! There are major differences between studying Petroleum engineering in a Nigerian university and studying petroleum engineering in a Nigerian polytechnic.
What are the differences between studying Petroleum engineering in a university and a polytechnic? The major differences between studying Petroleum engineering in a university and a polytechnic in Nigeria include:
- A University graduate of petroleum engineering will have a B.Sc Degree while a Polytechnic graduate of petroleum engineering will have an HND.
- It takes 4 years and a 6 months I.T to study petroleum engineering in Nigerian Polytechnics while it takes 5 years to study petroleum engineering in a Nigerian Universities.
- A petroleum engineering graduate from a University with a minimum of 3.5GPA can go for masters while a petroleum engineering graduate from a Polytechnic may have to pass through a one year post-degree programme to be eligible for masters in some universities.
Meanwhile, both polytechnic and university graduates in Nigeria can go for NYSC and both can work in the same firm and receive the same salary
Best Polytechnics That Offer Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria.
There are only few polytechnics that offer petroleum engineering in Nigeria. Below are the names of the polytechnics that offer petroleum engineering in 2021.
[See Also: Polytechnics that Offer Nursing in Nigeria]
1. Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun
Petroleum Training Institute is a polytechnic that is specifically for technology and engineering courses. The Institute offers both National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) engineering courses
The Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun offers three (3) petroleum engineering ND and HND courses which include:
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Processing
- Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences
- Petroleum Marketing and Business Studies
2. Federal Polytechnic of Oil and Gas
The Federal Polytechnic of Oil & Gas, is located at Bonny, in Rivers State is one of the accredited the Federal Polytechnics that specifically offers Oil & Gas related courses.
Some of the petroleum engineering ND and HND courses offered at the Federal Polytechnic of Oil & Gas, Bonny include:
- Petroleum Marketing and Business Studies
- Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering Technology
3. Kwara State Polytechnic
KwaraPoly does not directly offer petroleum engineering, but offers Minerals and Petroleum Resources Engineering Technology which is almost the same as petroleum technology.
Other engineering/technology courses offered at Kwara State Polytechnic include:
- Agricultural Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Architectural Technology
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Electrical / Electronic Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering Technology
- Agricultural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
4. Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti
The Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti offers both National and Higher Diploma programme in Minerals and Petroleum Resources Engineering Technology
The main admission requirements to study Minerals and Petroleum Resources Engineering Technology in the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti are
- Minimum of 140 Cut off mark
- 5 credits passes in Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology or agric.
5. Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH):
YabaTech is a polytechnic-college of technology that is located in Yaba, Lagos State. YABATECH does not directly offer petroleum engineering, but its offers Chemical engineering which is same as petro-chemical engineering.
[See the complete list of engineering courses offered in YABATECH here]
YABATECH Admission Requirements for Petroleum Engineering
The common requirements needed to gain admission to study petroleum engineering in Yaba College of Technology are;
- Minimum of 150 Cut off mark
- 5 credits passes in related subjects such as Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology or agric.