Polytechnics Offering Science Lab Technology In Nigeria – Science Laboratory Science (SLT) is one of the most sort after courses in Nigerian universities and polytechnics. Mostly at the polytechnics, admission seekers often prefer this course to others.
Science Laboratory Technology Program is a course that puts more focus on the fundamental principles of the biological and physical sciences and focuses more on analytical laboratory techniques and applications, usually in the realms of chemistry and biology.
Science laboratory technology is a 3-4 years course in Nigeria, in the polytechnics it is studied as Science laboratory technology in the National Diploma (ND) level which is usually for the length of 2years, but in Higher National Diploma (HND) level it becomes optional.
To be offered admission to study science lab technology in any polytechnic in Nigeria, you must be a science student and have a good knowledge on science subjects, a minimum of 5 credits in Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Biology and Physics in WAEC or NECO (‘O’ level) with the correct subject combination and applicants must meet up with JAMB/UTME and polytechnic requirements to avoid difficulties in gaining admission. In this article we will be listing out the polytechnics offering science lab technology in Nigeria.
List of Polytechnics Offering Science Lab Technology in Nigeria
The following are the list of polytechnics that offer Science Laboratory Technology as a course:
- Abraham Adesanya polytechnic, Ogun state Nigeria
- Abia State Polytechnic
- Imo State Polytechnic Umuagwo, Owerri
- Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo state
- Federal polytechnic Nkede Owerri
- Federal polytechnic, Anambra state
- Federal polytechnic, Ukana, Akwa ibom state.
- Federal polytechnic, Bauchi.
- Federal polytechnic, Nassarawa.
- Federal polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti
- Petroleum Training Institute, Delta State
- Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT)
- Ogun State Institute of Technology (OGITECH).
- Nigeria institute of Leather Technology and Science Technology.
- Abubakar Tatari Ali polytechnic, Bauchi state.
- Delta State polytechnic, Ozoro, Delta State
- Federal polytechnic, Bali.
- Crown Polytechnic, Ekiti state.
- Federal polytechnic yenagoa, Bayelsa.
- Federal polytechnic, Bida, Niger State
- Federal polytechnic, Damaturu.
- Federal polytechnic, Ida, Kogi state
- Federal polytechnic, Mubi.
- Federal polytechnic, IIaro, Ogun State
- Federal college of Animal, Health and production Technology, VOM.
- Federal college of Animal, Health and production Technology, Ibadan.
- Federal College of Forestry, Jos.
- Federal Polytechnic, Gboko, Benue State
- Dorben Polytechnic, Bwari Garam Road, FCT Abuja
- Gateway ICT Polytechnic, Saapade, Ogun state.
- Hassan Usman Polytechnic, Kastina.
- Kogi state polytechnic, Lokoja.
- Lagos State polytechnic, Ikorodu.
- Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta.
- Niger state polytechnic, Zungeru.
- Kano State Polytechnic.
- Jigsaw state polytechnic, Dutse.
- Heritage Polytechnic, Ikot Udota.
- Kaduna Polytechnic.
- S Adegbenro ICT Polytechnic, Itori.
- Trinity Polytechnic, Akwa ibom.
- Wolex Polytechnic, lagos.
- Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, kebbi.
- Yaba College of Technology, Lagos.
- RAMAT Polytechnic.
- Temple Gate Polytechnic, Abia.
- The Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa, Oyo state.
Best Polytechnics Offering Science Lab Technology in Nigeria
In this part of this article, we will be looking at and discussing about some of the best polytechnics offering science lab technology in Nigeria and their admission requirements.
- Edo State Polytechnic, Usen (USEN)
- Wolex Polytechnic, Ikoyi Lagos (WOLEX)
- Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic (WUFPBK)
- Yaba College of Technology, Yaba (YABATECH)
- Niger State Polytechnic, Zungeru (ZUNGERU POLY)
- Federal Polytechnic, Nekede (FEDPO-NEK)
- Federal Polytechnic, Oko (FEDPO-OKO)
- Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro (OZORO POLY)
- Osun State College of Technology, Esa-Oke (OSUNTECH)
- Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH)
- Imo State Polytechnic (IMO-POLY)
1. Yaba College of Technology, Lagos
Yaba College of Technology, usually referred to as YABATECH, was established in 1947, and is Nigeria’s first higher educational institution. The polytechnic is located in Yaba, Lagos, and has a student enrollment of over 16,000.
The College took off with academic programmes in Arts, Engineering and Management has expanded, adding more programmes. It presently has 8 Schools which are: School of Art, Design & Printing, School of Engineering, School of Environment Studies, School of Liberal Studies, School of Management & Business Studies, School of Science, School of Technical Education, School of Technology.
The aim of establishing a professional body of Science Technologists is to manage and maintain institutional and industrial laboratories in Nigeria, and this was proposed in July 1971. In 1984, the City and Guilds Institute of London stopped conducting examinations for overseas candidates, then the Nigerian Institute of Science Technology (NIST) took up the responsibility of conducting the examination in Science Laboratory Technology in Nigeria which led to the award of intermediate and final diploma of three (3) year and two (2) year duration respectively.
The admission requirements for the Higher National Diploma Programme (HND) in the Department is a minimum of Lower Credit Pass at National Diploma Programme in Science Laboratory Technology(SLT) obtained from any NBTE accredited institution and one year Post-ND cognate work Experience. For the National Diploma programme, aspirants must get at least 5 passes in the O/Level, these 5 subjects includes, mathematics, English, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. While for the JAMB requirement, all aspirants seeking admitted into YABATECH for the 2022/2023 session should be informed that to be eligible for the screening, you must get the correct JAMB subject combination and score 150 or above in your JAMB result.
2. Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH)
Lagos State polytechnic of Science and Technology was established in the year 1977 and is a federal government owned tertiary institution located in Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria. The institution was formerly called Lagos State College of Science and Technology (LACOSTECH) and later changed to Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH). The Polytechnic has a student population of 50,000, being one of Lagos State leading institution, also given to quality teaching, learning, research and community service.
To begin your admission process, you will need to have a 5 credit passes in your O level result (WAEC and NECO) including Mathematics, English, Economics, Government, and Geography before you can be offered admission into the university to study International Relations. Make sure you get the correct JAMB subject combination and meet the JAMB cut-off mark for international relations.
Aspirants who wish to study science lab technology in LASPOTECH will have to score high in JAMB and also exceed the cut off mark required for one to gain admission into LASPOTECH to study this course. To stand a good chance of gaining admission into LASPOTECH to study science lab technology, aspirants will have to study hard to score at least 200 and above in the JAMB result.
3. Wolex Polytechnic, Ikoyi Lagos (WOLEX)
Wolex Polytechnic is owned by a private individual and is located in Iwo-Ejigbo, Osun State, South West Nigeria. The polytechnic was created in 1996/1999, and has been officially accredited and recognized by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Nigeria. The mission of the polytechnic is to introduce leaders who are exceptional in research capabilities and practically respond to situations.
The general objectives of the Polytechnic are make available full time and part time courses of instructions and training in technology, applied sciences, commerce and management and in such other fields of applied learning which can serve as a solution to the needs and development of Nigeria in the area of industrial and agricultural production and distribution of techniques.
Aspirants who wish to apply for the ND program will need to have at least 5 credit passes in subjects which must include Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at not more than two sittings. Aspirants who sat for the last Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and score 120 and above can apply.
While for the HND, aspirants must have at least five O/L credits in relevant subjects including English Language and Mathematics, a National Diploma result and transcript processing, Evidence for completion of one year Industrial Attachment after National Diploma for full time only, and JAMB admission letter
It is important for you to know that admission is available for full-time and part-time.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the cut off mark for science laboratory technology in polytechnics?
It is better you score at least 200 and above because it will give you a greater chance of gaining admission to study Science Laboratory Technology into your preferred polytechnic.
2. What are the branches under SLT?
Some of the opportunities in the fields of science laboratory technology include chemical, biological, agricultural and food science, environmental science and prevention, forensic, forest and conservation, geological, and energy technology.
3. How much is science laboratory technology salary in Nigeria?
Some related job titles are Lab Technician Salaries with median pay of NGN 100,000, Medical Laboratory Technician Salaries.
4. Can a SLT student work in a hospital?
Graduates of science lab technology can also find employment in so many different industries, (e.g. food/pharmaceutical industries) establishments as well as in medical, public health, agricultural and veterinary laboratories.
Now that you’ve gotten the information you need about polytechnics that offer science lab technology in Nigeria, and their requirements, you can begin your admission process as soon as possible, provided you meet the admission requirements.
There are so many well-paying career options in this field that graduates can pick from. As long as you meet the requirements to study science lab technology, you stand a good chance to be offered admission into any polytechnic of your choice in Nigeria.
nigerianscholars.com -school science laboratory technology
schoolings.org -list of polytechnics offering science laboratory technology cut off mark-their-admission requirements
google.com -Best Polytechnics Offering Science Lab Technology in Nigeria