This is the updated list of Polytechnics that offer Pharmacy in Nigeria 2023. I have also including the polytechnic cut off mark and admission requirements for pharmacy.
It will interest you to know that they are good polytechnics that offer pharmacy in Nigeria in 2023 and I have spent time to list and explain them below.
What this information simply entails is that candidates can now apply and study pharmacy in a polytechnic in Nigeria with even a low JAMB score of at least, 120.
Note: it is also important to know that there are differences between a polytechnic’s HND in pharmacy and a university’s Degree in pharmacy. Check the difference here
Meanwhile, studying pharmacy in a polytechnic is also good and it is of more practical advantage to the student because polytechnics are believed to do more on practicals.
Do polytechnics offer Pharmacy in Nigeria?
Presently, I know about five (5) good polytechnics in Nigeria that offer Pharmacy in 2023 and the 5 polytechnics have been listed below.
But kindly know that Pharmacy in polytechnic is not called “PHARMACY” as it is in the University, but it is known and offered as “PHARMACEUTICAL TECHNOLOGY”.
A student who graduates from studying pharmacy in a University is called a pharmacist while a student that graduates from Pharmaceutical technology in a polytechnic is called a pharmaceutical technician.
The Differences between Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology.
Before you go ahead to study Pharmaceutical Technology in a Polytechnic, kindly note the following differences between a Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology:
Is Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology the same?
Pharmaceutical Technology and Pharmacy are not the same but are closely related and both work in the same place.
- Pharmacy which is offered in the Universities deals with the study of the preparation, effects, dosage, and dispensation of drugs/medicines.
- Pharmaceutical Technology deals with the study of the tools used to manufacture the drugs, the drug manufacturing processes, and the transformation process of raw materials that are used for the production of the drugs.
- Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology both work in a pharmacy, they share similar jobs tasks and skill levels.
Differences Between a Pharmacist Vs a Pharmaceutical Technician
A Pharmacist is a graduate from the University that receives a Bachelor’s Degree Award in Pharmacy while a Pharmaceutical Technician is a graduate from the Polytechnic that receives a Diploma Award in Pharmaceutical Technology.
Study Duration for Pharmacy Technology in Polytechnic
It takes a minimum of 2 years to study Pharmaceutical Technology in Polytechnic to gain an Ordinary National Diploma (OND) and 4 years to complete your studies to gain a Higher National Diploma (HND).
So it takes 4 years in total with an additional 6 months of Industrial Training (I.T) to study Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Technology at Polytechnic and earn an HND.
List of Polytechnics that Offer Pharmacy in Nigeria 2023
Which Polytechnic can I study pharmacy in Nigeria? The following are five (5) Polytechnics that offer Pharmaceutical Technology (Pharmacy) as a course in Nigeria.
- Federal Polytechnic, Nekede, located in Imo State
- Kano State Polytechnic, Kano, located in Kano State
- Edo State Polytechnic, Edo, located in Edo State
- Ogun State Polytechnic, Abeokuta, located Ogun State
- The Gateway Polytechnic, saapade, located in Ogun State
Check also: Polytechnics that offer Nursing in Nigeria 2023
Admission Requirements for Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Technology in Polytechnics
To be qualified for admission to study Pharmaceutical Technology in any Polytechnic, you must meet the following admission requirements:
- An SSCE O’level result (should not be above two sittings)
- Minimum of 5 credit passes (C) in five related subjects listed below.
- A JAMB score of at least 120 upward.
The JAMB subject combination for Pharmaceutical Technology in polytechnic are:
- English Language
The O’level (WAEC, NECO, or GCE) subject combination and requirement for Pharmaceutical Technology in polytechnic are:
- English Language
Those are the updated list of Polytechnics that Offer Pharmacy in Nigeria 2023 and their admission and entry requirements for JAMB and O’level.
For questions and recommendations, kindly use the comment section below. Please share and feel free to drop your comments below.