The’re are better signs which can categorically tell if one is ready for college or not. In one of my articles, I stated the “signs that show you’re not ready for a college”, but I’m this piece, I will be focusing on the solutions to such challenges.
Seeking College admission is very interesting, getting into your dream college is a dream come come true, but having a wrong notion about college life is always the starting point for discouragement.
It is believed that College life is just an upgraded version of high school, but does that some high school mistakes are tolerated in colleges? Maybe not
Well, here are important signs that can categorically explain signs that signify a student’s readiness for college.
9. Ability to Manage your Life in college:
The first sign of your readiness for college is your ability to manage your life, your time, your finance, and every other thing that is manageable.
Some of the best tips that will help you to manage your college life effectively and appropriately are;
- Make a schedule of every activity you wish to carry out
- Live and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Always make a financial budget
- Plan of friends to keep and those to avoid
- Always set goals for all your target
- Set deadlines for every activity
- Never procrastinate
- Manage your activities to avoid stress
- Always target being an achiever, not a perfectionist.
8. Your Plans for your College Education:
One of the 9 Signs that show you are ready for a college education is your plans for your college education and it is the most important of them all.
The most important things to consider when planning for your college are;
- Major/Discipline: The most important and first plan to put in place should be the course, major, discipline, or any other name you choose to call it, that you’re going to study in the college.
- College: Another important plan should be to choose the college you wish to apply to.
- Requirements: After making the first and second plans, consider the requirements needed and so to it that you meet them.
- Source of finance: This should include how you will finance your college education from the start to graduation
- The grade you want to come out with: Now that all plans have been set in place, think about the outcome of your college education by determining the grade you wish to come out with.
7. Your High School Grade:
Your high school grade will determine if you are ready for college admission or not because many schools consider it high in the admission process.
Generally, those with high grades have a greater advantage over those with poor grades. But if your high school grade is poor, then consider the following;
- Take a standardized test (SAT or ACT) and make sure you acquire good scores.
- Get good recommendation letters from your high school counselors or teachers
- Meet your high school teachers and counselors to discuss other alternatives with them.
6. Your Behavior:
Like we said in our previous article on the signs that show you are not ready for college education, “College is not a place for young students who behave like kids, but for young students who behave maturely like adults”.
Importantly, your behavior is also one of the 9 signs that will show if you are ready for a college education or not.
In colleges, some of the irritating, immature, and prohibited behavior that you must not put on to avoid actions from the management are;
- Cheating: Cheating during exams might lead to suspension or expulsion from school
- Vandalization: students that deliberately destroy or damage school properties may be arrested, suspended, or rusticated.
- Intimidation and Bullying: Bullying, intimidating, or threatening other students or staff may lead to suspension or expulsion
- Stealing and Extortion: Students that engage in forcefully collection of other students’ properties including money may be suspended or rusticated.
9. Your Readiness:
A good sign of preparation for a college education is your readiness. When we talk of college readiness, we are referring to;
- Psychological readiness
- Emotionally Readiness
- Academic readiness
To start and succeed in college, you must prepare your mind and focus it on the college journey, and for that to be effective, you must be ready psychologically, emotionally, and academically.
4. Your Willingness
A college education is all about determination and willingness. The truth is, there are some points in college that you may be so discouraged especially if you are not academically sound.
At such stages, it takes only motivation and willingness to scale through and push on till you graduate. To build a good readiness for college, make sure you;
- Study a course that you have a passion for
- Have enough self-motivation
- Have counselors that can motivate you.
- Have friends you can always discuss your weaknesses with.
3. Your Goals:
It might very difficult to succeed in college or in life as a whole without goals. The most important goals to set for your college journey are;
- To come out with a good grade
- Stay safe and healthy
2. Your Level of Commitment:
A college student that is aiming at success must be committed. Some of the most important commitments at colleges are;
- Personal commitments
- Academics commitments
- Spiritual commitments
- Social commitments
- Corporate commitments
So you must be personally, academically, spiritually, socially, and corporately committed to all services and activities.
1. Time Management:
Everything, activities or whatever, in college work with time. Proper and effective management of time is a good sign of readiness for college education.
Your ability to manage your time effectively will help you to keep to date and meet up all activities at their appropriate time.
Some of the important tips for effective time management in college are;
- Schedule of all your activities
- Have reading timetable
- Adjust your timetable to manage unplanned activities that may occur in the course of the day.
- Avoid procrastination.
- Schedule time to relax your brain and mind.
- Give yourself a good time to sleep.
Finally, a college education will be as simple as ABC to you if you have or can apply these 9 signs that show you are ready for college education before embarking on the journey.