Universities Offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria- Do they study Agricultural Economics in any Nigerian Universities? If you find how that thy study it, What are the List of universities offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria? We will be very happily to provide you with answers to all the questions above, but before we enter into that, let’s give a quick introduction to what Agricultural Economics is.
What is Agricultural Economics?
Agricultural economics known to be an applied social science that deals with how producers, consumers, and societies make use of resources that are scarce in the production, marketing, and consumption of food and fiber products.
The fact is that Agricultural Economics is offered in Some of the universities and it happens to be an amazing course and career choice having large number of students aspiring to study it in these universities make it a demanding course.
Knowing that the course is offered in Nigeria is not enough, we also going see the Jamb requirements and the O’ Level requirements for you to be able to qualify to school in any of the universities offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria.
Subject Combination / Joint Admission and Matriculation Board UTME Requirements
- In UTME, please note that the Use of English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Agricultural Economics and Extension under the Faculty of Agriculture in the any of the universities that will be listed include;
- Agricultural Science plus Mathematics or Physics.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- LANDMARK University – Chemistry, Physics/Mathematics, and one from Biology, Agricultural Science, Geography.
- Olusegun Obasanjo University -requires Chemistry and any two (2) of Physics, Mathematics, Biology, Agricultural Science and Geography.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
- Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM) and Michael Opara University of Agriculture (MOUA) accept ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
- Delta State University (DELSU) accepts ‘O’ level pass in English Language.
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU) and OOU require ‘O’ level credit in Physics.
- University of Benin (UNIBEN) accepts Statistics and Further Mathematics. Also requires at least ‘O’ level pass in Physics and ‘O’level pass in Biology for candidates with ‘O’ level credit in Agricultural Science.
- Obabfemi Awolowo University (OAU) does not require ‘O’ level credit passes in Geography and Economics.
- University of Osun (UNIOSUN) same as in Fisheries.
- MOUA requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes at not more than two (2) sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and any other Science subjects. Also credit in Agricultural Science must be backed up with ‘O’ level pass in Biology
- UNIOSUN requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in the SSC or its equivalent at not more than two (2) sittings in addition to UTME requirements.
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) accepts five (5) ‘O ’level credit passes in subjects which must include English Language, Biology/or Agricultural Science, Chemistry and either Mathematics or Physics.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) requires five (5) SSC credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and Economics. Accepts ‘O’ level pass in Physics at not more than two (2) sittings.
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) requires English Language, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and any of Physics/ Economics/Geography.
- Federal University Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB) requires
- ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- At least ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
- Candidates with ‘O’ level pass in Biology must possess ‘O’ level credit pass in Agricultural Science. Does not accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
- LANDMARK University requires ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science with ‘O’ level pass inPhysics. N.B. ‘O’ level credit pass in Agricultural Science must be backed up with at least ‘O’ level pass in Biology
List of Universities Offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria
Here are the list of universities offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria. They include:
- LANDMARK University
- Ahamdu Bello University
- Covenant University
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
- Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- University Of Benin, Benin City
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka
1. Landmark University
Landmark University University is known to be one of the best Private Universities in Nigeria. It is also one of the Universities Offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria presently. The university was founded and established in the year 2011 and it is located at Omu, Kwara State, Nigeria.
The department of Agriculture Economics is under the College of Agricultural Sciences. The course is a Five (5) years course and the school is a top notch school for Agriculture in Nigeria. The college of education has five unique Program which Agricultural Economics happens happens to be one of this programs offered in the college of Agriculture in Landmark University. These programs are:
- Animal Science
- Crop Science
- Soil Science
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development.
2. Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
The Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta is one of the amazing universities that offer Agricultural Economics in Nigeria. The university which is fondly called FUNAAB was founded and established in the year 1988. The school is located in Abeokuta the capital city of Ogun state, Nigeria.
The Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm management is under the College of Agricultural Management and Rural Development (COLAMRUD). The COLAMRUD was established with the guiding philosophy to produce Skilled manpower that is properly furnished with well comprehensive information needed for engaging in agricultural product in the accept of economics and also to add value in environment characterized by rural setting and adequate land endowment. So the department of Agriculture Economics and Farm Management was established to fulfil this mandate.
3. Federal University of Technology, Owerri
Federal University of Technology Owerri popularly called FUTO is one of the universities in Nigeria offering Agricultural Economics. The university was founded and established in the year 1980 and it is located at Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria.
The department of Agricultural Economics is under the School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology (SAAT). The Department of Agriculture Economics in SAAT, Federal University of Technology, Owerri was established for the purpose of producing graduates which happens to have in-depth knowledge in both the area of practical and also theoretical aspects of Agricultural Economics and well-grounded enough to be self employed upon graduation.
4. Obafemi Awolowo University
The Obafemi Awolowo University popularly called OAU is one of the unique Universities offer Agricultural Economics in Nigeria. The university happens to be among the list of the oldest universities in Nigeria and was founded and established in the year 1962. Obafemi Awolow University is located in Ile-Ife, Sound State, Nigeria.
The Department of Agricultural Economics is under the Faculty of Agriculture in My Obafemi Awolowo University.The ideology of the Department of Agricultural Economics is to educate all round graduates who can work in several positions and functions as job-creators or employees. The Department surely hopes to prepare graduates to meet the flows of the new millennium.
5. Ahmadu Bello University
The Ahmadu Bello University popularly called ABU is one of the amazing universities offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria. The school is located is Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria and happens to be one of the oldest universities in Nigeria. Ahmadu Bello University was founded and established in the year 1962.
The Faculty of Agriculture is where the Department of Agricultural Economics is situated in. The School has some well notable alumin who have done incredible things in Nigeria and some of these alumin are Nuhu Ribadu, Atiku Abubakar and many others.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the careers in Agricultural Economics?
Here are some of the careers in Agricultural Economics that you can get employed into after graduating as an Agricultural Economics. These Careers include;
- Agricultural Loan Officer
- Agribusiness Consultant
- Agricultural Appraiser
- Environmental Economist
- Agriculture Development Officer
- Agricultural Commodities Trader/Broker
- Research Agricultural Economist
- Professor of Agricultural Economics
2. How many years is Agricultural Economics?
The programme of courses leads to the Bachelor of Agriculture (B. Agric) degree and spans a duration of four (4) or five (5) academic years depending on the mode of entry for Direct entry it is three (3) or four (4) years. For the a five (5) year degree programme, the first year (100 level) is seen as a qualifying year.
Agricultural economics happens to be an applied social science that deals with how producers, consumers, and societies make use of scarce resources in the production, marketing, and consumption of food and fiber products. So make that decision to becoming an Agricultural Economist.
universitycompass.com -courses agricultural economics
nigerianscholars.com -school finder agricultural economics
ismyschool.net -list schools offer agric econs nigeria
nigerianinfopedia.com -best universitie to study agriculture in nigeria
schoolings.org -list of schools in nigeria offering agricultural economics cut off mark their admission requirements