Universities Offering Mass Communication In Nigeria-Have you been making researches to get the list of universities that offer mass communication in Nigeria? Then you have stumbled on the right article you need as we will be discussing elaborately on the list of all the universities offering mass communication in Nigeria and we are also going to talk more on the best universities to study mass communication in Nigeria.
According to Wikipedia, mass communication is a sub-field of communication studies. Mass communication is the process by which a person, group of people or organization creates a message and dispense it through some type of medium to a large, anonymous, heterogeneous audience. This means that the audience of mass communication is often made up of various cultures, behaviour, and belief systems. Mass communication is commonly associated with media studies.
In studying this course, undergraduates are taught the different types of mass communication which includes; Advertising, Journalism, Public relations, Social media, Audio media, Radio, Podcasts, Convergence, Integrated communication, Film and television, Television, Photography, Interactive media, E-books.
Mass Communication is taught in so many universities across the country and it is a 4-year bachelor’s degree program.
List Of Universities Offering Mass Communication In Nigeria
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Achievers University Owo
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden
- Al- Hikmah University, Ilorin
- American University Of Nigeria , Yola
- Anambra State University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Bingham University, Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Imota
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike, Enugu
- Covenant University, Canaan Land, Ota
- Crawford University,Faith City, Km 8, Atan-Agbara Road, Igbesa
- Crescent University, Abeokuta
- Cross Rivers University Of Technology, Calabar
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo State
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu
- Fountain University, Osogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu- Nike
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
- Imo State University, Owerri
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
- Madonna University, Okija
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- National Open University Of Nigeria
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- Novena University Ogume
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Pan-Atlantic University, Ahmed Onibudo Street, Victoria Island, Lagos
- Plateau State University, Bokkos
- Redeemers University
- Renaissance University, Ojiagu-Agbani, Enugu
- Rhema University , Obeama, Rivers State
- Rivers State University Of Science And Technology, Port Harcourt
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa, Edo State
- Southwestern University, Okun-Owa, Ogun State
- Tansain University, Oba, Anambra State
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- University Of Benin, Benin City
- University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
- University Of Jos, Jos
- University Of Lagos
- University Of Maiduguri
- University Of Mkar, Gboko
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka
- University Of Uyo
- Wellspring University, Irhihi/Ogbaneki, Benin City
- Wesley University Of Science And Technology. Ondo
- Western Delta University, Oghara, Delta State
Best Universities To Study Mass Communication In Nigeria
In this part of the article, we will be seeing some of the best universities to study mass communication in Nigeria. These universities have proven to be outstanding in this field of study over years and how produced outstanding graduates of mass communication.
We will not be arranging these universities in a specific order but you should know that every single one of these universities we will be talking are the best when it comes to mass communication and so you will have to have a good O’ Level result (WAEC or NECO), JAMB and Post UTME very well to get admission into these universities.
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Ilorin (UNIILORIN)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
1. University of Nigeria, Nsukka
The university of Nigeria is located in Nsukka, Enugu State and it is commonly referred to as UNN. It is a federal university and so far one of the best universities in the country. The university was founded in 1955 by Nnamdi Azikiwe but was officially launched on 7 October 1960.
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka has a total of four campuses at Nsukka, Enugu, Ituku-Ozalia in Enugu state and the Aba campus in Abia State. It was the first full-fledged indigenous and autonomous university in Nigeria and created its system from the American Educational System.
Mass communication in the University of Nigeria Nsukka is a four years programme and to study mass communication you will have to get at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC and NECO) including English, Mathematics, Civic Education, Trade Subject, Government, Literature, Economics/Food and Nutrition, CRS/IRS Or Geography, Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa and not more than two (2) sittings before you can study Mass Communication in UNN. Candidates must have reached the AGE of sixteen by the 31st day of October in the year of admission. Candidates must be careful to choose the correct JAMB subject combination, and have a good JAMB, WAEC, Post UTME score.
2. University of Benin
The University of Benin is a federal university located in the southern part of Nigeria in Benin City, Edo State and it is commonly referred to as UNIBEN. The school was established in 1970 and currently has two campuses and fifteen faculties.
It initially began as an institute of technology and later became a full-fledged university in 1971. The main campus of the university is the Ugbowo campus and then the Ekehuan campus.
You will need to have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC/NABTEB or NECO) including English, Mathematics, Civic Education, Trade Subject, Government, Literature, Economics/Food and Nutrition, CRS/IRS Or Geography, Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa not more than two sittings before they can study Mass Communication in UNIBEN.
Candidates must have reached the age of sixteen by the 31st day of October in the year of admission, and you must have a good JAMB, WAEC, Post UTME Score.
3. University of Lagos (UNILAG)
The University of Lagos, Usually referred to as UNILAG, is a public research university located in Lagos, Nigeria. The university was founded in 1962 and is one of the first generation universities in Nigeria and is also ranked among the top universities in the world in major education publications.
Presently, the university has three campuses in the mainland of Lagos. Whereas two of its campuses are located at Yaba (the main campus in Akoka and the recently created campus at the former school of radiography), it’s college of medicine is located at Idi-Araba, Surulere.
Candidates who wish to apply for admission must score at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC/NABTEB or NECO) including English, Mathematics, Civic Education, Trade Subject, Government, Literature, Economics/Food and Nutrition, CRS/IRS Or Geography, Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa not more than two sittings before they can study Mass Communication in The University of Lagos.
Candidates must have reached the age of sixteen by the 31st day of October in the year of admission, and must have a good JAMB, WAEC, Post UTME Score.
4. University of Ilorin (UNIILORIN)
University of Ilorin, which is usually referred to as Unilorin, is a federal government-owned university in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. It was established by a decree of the federal military government in August, 1975.
Unlike some other higher institutions of learning in the country, the university has one of the largest land areas, covering approximately 15,000 hectares of land. In 2021 It was reported by JAMB to be the most sought-after Nigerian university.
Mass Communication in UNILORIN is a 4 years course. The University Of Ilorin thrives in an environment that improves competitiveness, unrestrained scientific inquiry, critical thinking, innovation, and creativity which motivates so many students to apply for admission to study Mass Communication in UNILORIN and that makes it more competitive.
Candidates need to have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC/NABTEB or NECO) including English, Mathematics, Civic Education, Trade Subject, Government, Literature, Economics/Food and Nutrition, CRS/IRS Or Geography, Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa not more than two sittings before you can study Mass Communication in The University of Lagos.
As a candidate, you must have reached the age of sixteen by the 31st day of October in the year of admission, and you must have a good JAMB, WAEC, Post UTME Score.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which university is the best to study Mass Communication in Nigeria?
Arguably, Unilag is your best choice when it comes to studying Mass Communication in Nigeria. University of Benin (UNIBEN) is a research university located in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. Both schools are among the top most sought-after and reputable public universities in Nigeria.
2. What is the JAMB score for Mass Communication?
The management of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has declared that the latest JAMB cut-off mark for Mass Communication is 250 and above, and also the departmental cut-off mark and point for Mass Communication for the 2022/2023 academic session.
3. What job is under Mass Communication?
Graduates of mass communication programs can go for employment with public relations agencies, marketing and advertising firms, newspapers and digital publishers, community and non-profit organizations, healthcare agencies and hospitals, or television and radio stations.
Nigerian has a number of reputable schools where you can study mass communication and get a great career. With the list of best Universities to study mass communication in Nigeria, you can make an easy and perfect of university in Nigeria to study mass communication.
Mass communication as a field of study exposes you to so many great opportunities both in and out of Nigeria provided you have the right credentials and you are very knowledgeable in the field. Going to the best university in Nigeria for mass communication gives you the opportunity to have the best knowledge in that field. So we advise you make the right choice from our list of Universities offering mass communication in Nigeria and begin your journey into the best career you’ve always dreamed of.
nigerianscholars.com -Universities Offering Mass Communication
sparklyn.com.ng -Universities Offering Mass Communication Course
schoolings.org -List of Universities in Nigeria that Offer Mass Communication as a Course of Study
List of Polytechnics That Offer Mass Communication
Polytechnics Offering Surveying And Geoinformatics In Nigeria In 2023
List Of Polytechnics That Offer Dentistry In Nigeria