If you are a direct entry applicant wanting to know the Nigerian universities that accept direct entry for medicine and surgery, then here is a good information for you.
No doubt, medicine is a professional course with so many job opportunities especially in Nigeria. It’s obvious that doctors don’t lack jobs and graduates from medicine and surgery do not spend years hunting for jobs.
To make things easier, some students resort to undergoing either a pre-degree program, a diploma program or similar programs so that they can be qualified for direct entry admission into medicine.
But here come the issue; not all universities in Nigeria will accept direct entry applicants into medicine and surgery. In fact, many Nigerian universities don’t.
Nevertheless, there are so good and standard universities in Nigeria that also accept direct entry admission for medicine and those are the ones we will be focusing on.
Direct Entry Admission Requirements for Medicine?
Medicine is a professional course and a direct entry admission into medicine in any Nigerian university requires a high level of qualification.
To be qualified for a direct entry admission into medicine and surgery in any Nigerian university, you must meet the following requirements and qualifications;
- You must meet the minimum JAMB Direct Entry Admissions Requirements
- You must have a minimum of Credit pass in your O’level subjects including physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and English language
- You will need an A’level pass in any of Chemistry, Biology, biochemistry, Zoology, Physics, etc.
- A B.Sc., NCE, ND, HND, or similar qualifications in the relevant programmes.
Which Programs are Qualified for Direct Entry Admissions for Medicine
Not all qualifications and programs are accepted for university’s direct entry admission into medicine and surgery. To be qualified, you must have a qualification in any of the programmes below:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant courses like MLS, Medical biochemistry, Zoology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Nursing, Pharmacy, and other related medical courses
- School-owned Pre-degree Diploma/Programs: these are programs that are mostly hosted by the school you are applying to.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in related courses like Pharmaceutical technology, SLT, etc.
- Ordinary National Diploma (OND) with upper credit in related courses
- JUPEB program in related subjects
- IJMB program in related subjects
- Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) in related courses for those applying from a College of education
What Level will you Start if you are admitted into Medicine Through Direct Entry?
All qualified candidates admitted into medicine and surgery in any Nigerian university will always start from year two(level 200).
Universities in Nigeria that accept Direct Entry Admissions for Medicine 2022
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH)
- Niger Delta University (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago Iwoye, Ogun State
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (UDUSOK)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU)
- Federal University Dutse (FUD)
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
- Edo University (EDSU)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria
- Delta State University (DELSU), Abraka
- Abia State University Uturu (ABSU)
- Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Ekpoma
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT).
- Benue State University (BSU), Makurdi.
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
At this point, I believe you have known the universities in Nigeria that accept direct entry for medicine and surgery and what you need to qualify for admission.
If you have personal questions, or if you want to make further findings, use the comment section below to reach out to us.