Do universities in Nigeria accept direct entry for nursing? If yes, what are the requirements and what year will you start from?
You will see the answers to the above questions as you read on!
Recently, gaining admission into nursing in Nigerian universities has become more competitive than how it use to be due to high number of applicants.
As such, one of the easiest way to gain admission into nursing to start from level 2022 is through direct entry.
If you are a direct entry applicant searching for the universities that accept direct entry for nursing, then this information will serve you that purpose.
Direct Entry Admission into Nursing 2022
Nursing is one the most competitive medical courses in Nigeria after medicine and surgery. In fact, nursing is one of the most applied-for courses in Nigeria and that alone has made it one of the competitive university courses.
Sadly, tertiary institutions like the Polytechnics and colleges of education do not offer nursing as a direct single course except for universities and nursing schools.
Can I do direct entry for Nursing?
You can do direct entry admission for nursing into some Nigerian universities.
What can candidates do to gain direct entry admission into nursing?
Candidates who find it difficult to gain admission into nursing through JAMB UTME can easily do that through direct entry admission by first of all undergoing a pre-degree or diploma program.
To make it easier to gain direct entry admission into nursing which will enable you to start from year 2, you must undergo either a pre-degree program, a diploma program or similar programs so that they can be qualified for direct entry admission according to JAMB direct entry admission requirements.
How many years is direct entry Nursing in Nigeria?
Students that are admitted into nursing and through direct entry will have to spend 4 years in the university before graduation.
This is because the nursing program in across Nigerian universities takes 5 years. Since direct entry students will have to start from their second year, they have 4 years left to complete their program.
Nevertheless, not all universities in Nigeria accept direct entry admission for nursing. Some Nigerian universities don’t while some other universities in Nigeria do accept direct entry admission for nursing and those are the ones we will be focusing on.
Universities that Accept Direct Entry for Nursing 2022
Below are some private, state and federal universities in Nigeria that accept direct entry for nursing for 2022/2023 academic session.
- Adeleke University, Ede (AUE)
- Bayero University, Kano (BUK)
- Achievers University, Owo Ondo State
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- University of Calabar, Cross-Rivers State (UNICAL)
- Ambrose Alli University, Edo State (AAU)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Abia State University (ABSU)
- Bowen University, Iwo Osun State (BOWEN)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti (ABUAD)
- Edo University, Iyamho (EDSU)
- Babcock University, Ikenne, Ogun State (BABCOCK)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (UDUSOK)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Medical Sciences, Ondo (OSUMS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
- Madonna University, Elele, Enugu State (MADONNA)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Igbinedion University, Okada (IGBINEDION)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Niger Delta University, Bayelsa State (NDU)
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Federal University of Oye Ekiti (FUOYE)
Requirements for Direct Entry Admission for Nursing 2022?
To be qualified for a direct entry admission into nursing, you must meet the following requirements and qualifications;
- You must meet the minimum JAMB Direct Entry Admissions Requirements
- You must have a minimum of Credit pass in your O’level subjects including physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and English language
- You will need an A’level pass in any of Chemistry, Biology, biochemistry, Zoology, Physics, etc.
- A B.Sc., NCE, ND, HND, or similar qualifications in the relevant programmes.
Programs that are accepted for Direct Entry Admission for Nursing
Not all qualifications and programs are accepted for university’s direct entry admission for nursing. To be qualified, you must have a qualification in any of the programmes below:
- A’evel passes in two (2) of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics
- ND Upper Credit in Prosthesis and Orthopaedic Technology or similar courses
- Two (2) ‘A’ Level passes in Biology/ Zoology, Chemistry and Physics or similar courses
- Three (3) O’evel credit passes in Mathematics, Physics and English Language.
- Two (2) years post-registration experience in any health related course with preference to more than five (5) years experience for candidates with 1st Degree in a health-related programme.
- Bachelor’s degree from any of General Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing, Mid-Wifery, Nursing Science, Community health, Medicine and Surgery, etc.
At this point, I believe you have known the universities in Nigeria that accept direct entry for nursing and the requirements that you need to gain admission.
If you have personal questions, or if you want to make further findings, use the comment section below to reach out to us.