We bring to you the updated list of state, federal and private universities that accept second class lower for masters in Nigeria in 2022.
Firstly, if you are a second-class lower graduate that wishes to do your masters in Nigeria, it is good to ask interesting questions like:
are there universities that accept second-class lower for masters in Nigeria?’
Interestingly, this article has a detailed answer and explanation to this question with recommended schools that accept second class lower for masters in Nigeria.
We often hear statements like, from second lower graduate to third class cannot go for masters except they go for two years postgraduate or pre-master’s diploma.
But this is not true because there are many universities that accept second-class lower graduates who meet every other entry requirement for masters.
So if you are a graduate with a second class lower grade, then here is a big opportunity for you to go for masters without spending extra years struggling for other qualifying degrees.
Explaining Second Class Lower Grade in Nigeria
Second-class honor in the university is divided into upper and lower honor and most graduates from the university fall within this range.
The upper honor is for any student with a GPA within the range of 3.5 to 4.49 GPA in a 5.0 CGPA scale and that is the closest to first-class honor.
Read also: Free online masters degree programs 2022
A Second class lower grade in the Nigerian University system of 5.0 CGPA scale is a grade the falls between 2.5 GPA to 3.49 GPA.
Looking intelligently, a second class lower student within this range must’ve had C’s and B’s in his courses and that cannot be considered poor, academically.
Meanwhile, some universities in Nigeria see a second class lower as a poor grade for masters, especially for professional courses.
Nevertheless, there are other universities in Nigeria that value, respect, and accept any graduate within the range of 2.5 GPA to 3.49 GPA.
Those universities that accept graduates within 2.5 GPA to 3.49 GPA into their master’s programs are the ones we are focusing on in this article.
Can a Second Class Lower do Masters in Nigeria?
Can I go for masters in Nigeria with second class lower? The answer is Yes!!!
Graduates with second class lower can go for masters in Nigeria but in selected schools and selected courses shown below.
Meanwhile, others may need to undergo a Pre-master Program for at least one to two years to be qualified for admission into other universities.
Universities that Accept Second Class Lower for Masters in Nigeria 2022
The following is the list of the known Universities in Nigeria that accept second class lower for masters degree programs and Pre-master diploma programs:
11. Osun State University: UNIOSUN is a state university located in Osun state. UNIOSUN has master’s programs that are available for second-class lower graduates.
10. Taraba State University: TASU is also a state university with good master’s programs for second-class lower graduates. Taraba State University is located in Taraba State.
9. Covenant University (CU): Covenant University is the best private university in Nigeria with master’s programs for second-class lower graduates.
8. Lagos State University: LASU is a state university located in Lagos state. The Lagos State University has available master’s degree programs for second-class lower holders.
7. Ambrose Alli University: AAU is located in Ekpoma at KM 70 Benin-Auchi Road in Benin State. Ambrose Alli University offers master’s programs for second-class lower graduates.
6. University of Calabar: UNICAL is located in Cross River State and there are master’s programs in UNICAL for second-class lower honor graduates.
5. Enugu State University of Science and Technology: ESUT is a Science and Technology State University in Enough state.
There are available master’s degree programs in Enugu State University of Science and Technology for graduates with second class lower.
4. University of Benin: UNIBEN is a very popular and reputable federal university in Nigeria that admits graduates with second class lower.
3. Kaduna State University: KASU is located in Kaduna state. This state university accepts graduates with second class lower for master’s degree programs.
2. Cross River University of Technology: the Cross River University of Technology (CRUTECH) is a start university in Cross River State that second class lower honor for master’s degree programs and pre-master.
1. University of Jos: the university of Jos is located in Jos in Plateau State. It is a very reputable university with a good national ranking.
The University of Jos accepts graduates with second class lower honor into some master’s programs. Visit the school for more information.
Read Also: Universities in U.S that accept low GPA
Other top universities in Nigeria that accept graduates with second class lower honor for master’s programs are:
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU)
See also: Free online business degree programs
Universities that Accept Second Class Lower for Pre-master Diploma
The following are more top Nigerian universities that accept second class lower honor for postgraduate and pre-masters diploma programs;
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
- Sule Lamido University (SLU)
- Plateau State University (PLASU)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Niger Delta University (NDU)
- University of Nigeria (UNN)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University (IBBU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- The University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Imo State University (IMSU)
- Rivers State University Of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- The Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA)
- Adamawa State University (ADSU)
- Chukwu Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU)
- Bayero University
- Ondo State University Of Science and Technology (OSUSTECH)
- Benue State University (BSU)
- Kaduna State University (KSU)
- Usmanu Danfodio University (UDUSOK)
Note: they may be other universities that are not on this list but we promise to keep updating this light from time to time.
How To Expand Your Opportunities with a Second Class Lower Honour
Please this is very important before you proceed to check the list of the schools that accept second class lower for masters in Nigeria shown below.
Although second-class lower doesn’t necessarily mean that the student is poor academically, many employers prefer graduates with a first-class or second-class upper honor for employment.
More so, what if the dream university for your master’s program may not accept students with second class lower? Don’t you think you need to step up?
Interestingly, there are easy ways you can step up your second class lower Bachelor’s degree and become valuable both for employment and for master’s degree programs. Such ways include the following;
- Apply and undergo a Postgraduate Diploma program:
This kind of postgraduate program help to stabilize your low grade by making your Bachelor’s degree relevant and acceptable just as any other higher honor.
Postgraduate Diploma programs in most Nigerian universities always last for two years.
- Undergo a Pre-master’s Diploma program:
Pre-master diploma programs are almost the same as postgraduate diploma programs. They are programs meant to prepare graduates effectively for master’s degree programs.
Undergoing the above postgraduate diploma programs will help to step up your low grades and make your degree valuable and acceptable for master’s programs and employment.
For contributions, questions, and recommendations, use our contact form on the contact page or the comment section below to reach out to us.